ELDH will try to send observers to the following trials. These trials are observed by many lawyers from different organisations in Europe. Colleagues who wish to participate in the trial observation should get into contact with ELDH: email@example.com
International Law Breaches Concerning the Independence of Legal Profession in Turkey (The Bar Human Rights Committee of England and Wales, The International Bar Association’s Human Rights Institute, The Law Society of England and Wales)
Joint Stakeholder Submission to the UN Human Rights Council’s Universal Periodic Review – TURKEY
International Coalition of Legal Organisations 35th Session (Jan.-Feb. 2020) (report)
CHD Trials I and II (trials against lawyers of the Progressive Lawyers Association (Çağdaş Hukukçular Derneği) CHD. CHD is a member organisation of ELDH.
- CHD Trial I, 10 July 2019, Istanbul: Continuation of the trial against 22 lawyers who are all leading members of the ELDH member organisation CHD. The Trial started on 24 December 2013
Reports on the hearing on 23 May 2018
ELDH observers (download PDF-file)
DEFENSE SANS FRONTIERE – AVOCATS SOLIDAIRES observers, report 23 May 2018 (download PDF-file)
DEFENSE SANS FRONTIERE – AVOCATS SOLIDAIRES observers, report 24 October 2018 (download PDF-file)
DEFENCSE SANS FRONTIERE – AVOCATS SOLIDAIRE observers, report (download PDF-file)
- CHD Trial II, 18 CHD Lawyers sentenced to long prison terms on 20 March 2018 (reports and statements)The trial started on 10 September 2018, Silivri
Trial observation report (10 to 14 September 2018)
ELDH Statement (16 September 2018)
Trial observation report (3 to 5 December 2018)
ÖHP Trials I and II (trials against lawyers of the Asrın LawOffice, members of ÖHP, former ÖHD, Platform of Lawyers for Freedom (Özgürlükçü Hukukçular Platformu), ÖHP ). ÖHD is a member organisation of ELDH.
- ÖHP – Trial I, 16 July 2019, Istanbul Continuation of the trial against 46 lawyers (Asrın Law Office case,referred to historically as the “KCK Lawyers Trial” ), who had among others alleged members of KCK as clients.
The trial started on 16 July 2012.
The case was adjourned to 5th March 2019 for the Supreme Court to decide whether the current case should be joined with any of the other prosecutions. Further decisions will be needed if joinder takes place concerning the appropriate court in which the joined proceedings should take place.
The report on the last hearing in December 2017
The report on the hearing in May 2018
Asrin Office Lawyers Case I – October 2018
DSF AS report on the hearing on 5 March 2019
- ÖHP – Trial II, 31 October 2019, Istanbul, against Ramazan Demir and other lawyers from the Asrın LawOffice.
Continuation of the trial against lawyers and human rights defenders Ramazan Demir, Hüseyin Boğatekin, Ayşe Acinikli, İrfan Arasan, ŞefikÇelik, Adem Çalışçı, Ayşe Gösterişlioğlu Başar, Tamer Doğan, Mustafa Rüzgar, Sinan Zincir, Raziye Turgut and Ruhşen Mahmutoğlu as members of the human rights association for prisoners TUHAD-FED. They all are members of the Istanbul Bar, the Progressive Lawyers Association (ÇHD) and the Libertarian Lawyers Association (ÖHD).
DSF AS Rapport OHD II – 11 décembre 2018
Trials against HDP former co-chairs Ms. Figen Yüksekdağ (June 14, 2019) and Mr. Selahattin Demirtaş (June 18-19, 2019)
- The next hearing of the case against former co-chair Ms. Figen Yüksekdağ will be held on 14 June 2019 at 10:00 a.m at Sincan F Type Prison Campus in Ankara. The charges raised against Ms. Yüksekdağ are almost identical with those raised against Mr. Demirtaş: Establishing or administering an armed terrorist organization, making propaganda of a terrorist organization, inciting people to hatred and enmity, inciting people to commit crime, inciting people to violate the law, participation in unlawful meetings and demonstrations. Her indictment consists of 8 separate files that were later merged into one single case. Almost all of the files are about the speeches she made as the leader of a political party.
- HDP’s former co-chair Mr. Selahattin Demirtaş was arrested on 4 November 2016 together with co-chair Ms. Figen Yüksekdağ and seven other MPs. Mr. Demirtaş has been in Edirne F Type Prison since his arrest. The next hearing of the main legal case for which Mr. Demirtaş has been under pre-trial detention will be on June 18-19, 2019 at 10:00 a.m. at the Sincan F Type Prison Campus in Ankara. The indictment prepared for Mr. Selahattin Demirtaş accuses him with the following charges: Establishing or administering an armed terrorist organization, making propaganda of a terrorist organization, praising a crime or criminal, inciting people to hatred and enmity, inciting people to commit crime, inciting people to violate the law, organizing and participating in meetings and marches in violation of the law on protest and assembly. The prosecution has asked for the sentencing of Mr. Demirtaş up to142 years in prison.
Gezi Park Trial
24 and 25 June 2019, Silivri prison court (near Istanbul
16 individuals are now being put on trial in this case, and the prosecutor demanding aggravated life sentences and a series of additional punishments. The 657-page indictment was prepared by the Istanbul Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office and accepted by the 30th Heavy Penal Court. The bill of indictment treats sending pastries and sandwiches to the park as ‘bankrolling’; turns tourists visiting Antalya into ‘malicious foreign powers’; interprets the offering of flowers to police officers on duty at Gezi Park as ‘an attempt to overthrow the government’.
Madrid, Supreme Court: Catalan referendum case, trial against former Catalan ministers, pro-independence activists, and the former parliament speaker Oriol Junqueras, Raül Romeva, Jordi Turull, Josep Rull, Joaquim Forn, Jordi Sànchez, Jordi Cuixart, Dolors Bassa, Carme Forcadell, Meritxell Borràs, Carles Mundó and Santi Vila. The defendants are charged by the Public Prosecutor’s Office with the crimes of rebellion, sedition, disobedience and embezzlement of public funds, for which it has requested 177 years’ imprisonment.
Other trials in Turkey or other countries will be announced as soon as the details are known.